This month, I got a lot of reading done. Surprisingly, two of the seven books I read this month were nonfiction. As a person who usually only reads fiction, I am pretty proud of that accomplishment. I hope to continue reading nonfiction books in the future. Here is what I read this month!
- Ms. Marvel Volume 2: Generation Why by G. Willow Wilson (5 stars)- I love Ms. Marvel! This series is turning out to be my favorite graphic novel series. It is action packed and I love how diverse it is. I fly through these graphic novels.
- Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan (5 stars)- I read this as an e-book and on a whim. I heard about it on Youtube. It was fantastic. The story is told from duel perspectives about the very different lives of two teenagers named Will Grayson. The story is quick and sweet. It is also a great story about friendship.
- We Should Hang Out Sometime by Josh Sundquist (5 stars)- This book was a complete surprise! Josh is a Youtuber and this is the story of all the “almost girlfriend” he has had. This is a true story but reads like a novel. I flew through this felling his embarrassment and awkwardness in different social situations. As a math person, I like how he incorporates graphs and charts into his stories (like his math nerd videos; which I love).
- Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Copper Story by David Levithan (2 stars)- This is a companion to Will Grayson, Will Grayson. This was a disappointment to me because I loved Will Grayson, Will Grayson so much. This was Tiny’s play from the novel. I found it hard to follow because it was a musical and had his original songs. I think it might have been easier to follow if they had some sort of tune to go with each song. I just didn’t like this book. 😦
- The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae (3 stars)- Another nonfiction book! This was a memoir about another Youtuber. She has a series by the same name on Youtube. I enjoyed the beginning of the memoir because I could relate to her on some levels. However, the middle dragged quite bit and I had to really push myself to finish the book. The web series is pretty funny though and worth checking out.
- Ms. Marvel Volume 3: Crushed (5 stars)- I love everything about this series! Enough said.
- Lumberjanes Volume 1 by Noelle Stevenson (4 stars)- Another cute graphic novel. The art style is beautiful and colorful and I love the characters. This is another graphic novel that is heavy on the values of friendship. I might put this one in my classroom.
Best books of the month: Ms. Marvel’s Volume 2 and 3
Most disappointing book of the month: Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Copper Story (I ordered this book online and had to wait for it to come in. Very disappointing after what seemed like a long wait.)
Most surprising read of the month: We Should Hang Out Sometime
I really don’t have a set plan for this month. The #cramathon (hosted by WhittyNovels) is coming up this weekend (July 10th-July 13th) and I would like to participate in that.
I also want to read some of the books that have been sitting on my shelf forever. So this month, I plan to read:
I have had this book for what seems like forever. I have heard nothing but good things about it, but have never gotten around to it. I really want to get to it this month.
What are your reading plans this month? Let me know in the comments section!